Friday, October 3, 2014

The Hunter

To listen to The Hunter, click here

“And Cush begat Nimrod, who became a great man of the Earth,
one of God's hunters. The capital of his kingdom was Babel.”


There was a mighty hunter 
     and he walked a dozen lands
He stole a dozen bowls of food 
     from a dozen empty hands
He spoke a dozen languages 
     no man could understand
O help me in my grief and in my folly

He hunted for those secrets 
     that no man could hope to find
He saw the deepest darkness 
     in the country of the blind
He found a piece of silver 
     but he lost his peace of mind
O help me in my grief and in my folly
 
He paid no heed to riches 
     his whole life he was poor
He took just what he needed 
     and he never asked for more
Sometimes a girl would call to him 
     & then he’d knock upon her door
Saying help me in my grief and in my folly


No one could slay this hunter 
     though many men did try
And many more were frightened 
     by the hunger in his eye
Yet children sat upon his knee 
     and listened to him cry
O help me in my grief and in my folly
 
The hunter climbed the mountain 
     that steeped above the clouds
Until he saw beyond the skies 
     the answers to men’s doubts
But he came back home in silence 
     for the night was black as shrouds
O help me in my grief and in my folly
 
Until there came the day the hunter 
     stood before the Lord
With one hand pressed against his heart 
     and one against his sword
He said “My Lord I’ll serve you 
     if you’ll just give me the Word
And help me in my grief and in my folly
 
He loved a hundred women 
     and he knew a hundred more
Nobody could count how many 
     children he had spawned
But he hunted on forever 
     for his own life was still-born
O help me in my grief and in my folly
 
The hunter swam the oceans 
     and he crossed the deserts wide
He knew no fear of solitude 
     of fire or of ice
He hunted for that mystic land 
     where men can never die
O help me in my grief and in my folly
 
He fought a thousand battles 
     and he slew a thousand men
He walked the roads a thousand miles 
     and then he walked them back again
One day he found a lion 
     sleeping in its den
Who helped him in his grief and in his folly









If you would like to include "The Hunter" in your repertoire, either for paid public performance or to record for commercial purposes, or if you would like to re-use the recording attached to this blog-page for commercial purposes, contact argaman@theargamanpress.com. 
Use of this song, and/or this recording, for non-commercial purposes, is not simply permitted but invited.
Words and music by David Prashker
Copyright © 2014 David Prashker


All rights reserved


The Argaman Press


No comments:

Post a Comment